Academic Success Center (ASC) / Learning Commons
The Academic Success Center (ASC)/Learning Commons is where students can go for tutoring for their classes. Located inside the Learning Commons, the Academic Success Center offers a variety of learning options for all students. The center provides:
- Individual tutoring by drop-in or appointment
- Group tutoring by tutors
- Computer-assisted tutorials and instruction
- Computer Lab and Electronics Lab software and instruction
- Electronic workstations for assisted learning
- References and resources to supplement your textbooks
- A convenient place to study on your own or in small groups
The tutors in the ASC are full-time students who work as part-time tutors. All tutors have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA and a strong understanding of course materials. You may schedule an appointment with a tutor or see any available tutor without an appointment.
The mission of the ASC is enhance student learning by providing academic assistance beyond classroom instruction. The ASC can:
- Help students in all programs meet the standards of their coursework at DeVry
- Provide students and their tutors a place conducive to studying and learning
- Offer electronic and print resource materials for many subjects
The ASC can assist you in many ways. In it, you can:
- Complement your present study habits
- Review course material
- Get clarification about material learned in class
- Prepare for tests and assignments
- Receive support and motivation
This is a very common question. In case you are unsure of the answer, here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Have you missed classes due to illness, business, or a family emergency?
- Are you having difficulty understanding the material that is presented in class?
- Was your exam score lower than you expected?
- Is your lab assignment not working properly?
- Have you been away from the class environment for a number of years?
- Do you suffer from test anxiety?
- Are your study habits lacking?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the ASC can assist you.
We are inside the Learning Commons (room 211) and are open:
Monday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
ASC Front Desk: (909) 868-4001
ASC Manager: Maria Gutierrez (909) 868-4012 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org